Friday, September 5, 2008

My Head-Rattlers

I can't believe I'm such a blogging-loser and haven't posted for nearly two weeks. How boring am I? I don't really have any note-worthy news or pictures, so I'll just fill you in on what I have rattling around in my head...

I'm This Much of a Nerd

So, my only real big baby purchase I have to buy is a new car seat. Why, you might ask, do I need a new car seat when my older one is only about three years old, because, as we all know (or at least my husband does :P), the plastic used for infant carrier car seats doesn't expire for five years...two whole years longer than the lifetime of mine. My answer-we're kinda hard on our car seats, so mine is a little bunged up, a little dingy-looking, and frankly, I'm a little bored with it. Plus, the new car seats they have coming out are just so much cushier! They are not, at least in my opinions, so much cuter...not at all. There's the root of my problem-I'm uber-picky when it comes to patterns and I just don't really like what's available. Pattern-wise, my favorites are Combis. You just can't beat the polka dot shade. Don't ask me why it's the deal-breaker for me...I don't really get it either.

Unfortunately...our double stroller is a Graco, so these won't clip into it. They're also slightly more expensive than the Gracos we've been looking at (like $20), so that's a downside too. I just have to decide if it's worth paying a little extra and trading in the stroller option to get a look I really like.

My other top choice is a Graco, obviously. My problem however, is that I just don't really care for any of the patterns out there (or at least those that are sold separately from the strollers). These are the ones I dislike the least:


Birkshire

too dingy-looking (in case you can't see, the colors used are cream, brown, tan, and a tiny bit of light green)...

Eclipse

too gray (even without the blanket thingy)...

Deco and Milan

too boyish...

So there you have it. Yes, I am well-aware that I am a little psycho when it comes to car seats. I've gotten to the point where I can recognize and name the brand of a car seat I see across a store :P. I'm that much of a nerd.

My Gustav Evacuees

So my sister Liberty and her three boys are staying at my mom's house here in town this week. This is the same sister (for those of you who don't already know) that we went and visited earlier this month. The area she lives in Alabama got hit by Hurricane Gustav, so it was recommended that they evacuate for this week. Luckily their house (and the surrounding area) wasn't hit too hard, so things are okay on that front. Despite the not-so-fun reasons for them coming, we've had a blast with them here. Who doesn't love a spontaneous cross-country visit, right? Unfortunately, I haven't taken a single picture this entire week (I'm a blogging-loser, remember). You'll just have to take my word for it that it's been loads of fun having Liberty, Josiah, Gavin, and Gunnison here.

As if we haven't discussed enough baby stuff already...

I was wondering what ya'll's "favorites" were. What's the baby/toddler stuff you absolutely can't live without (especially if you have more than one kid)? I'm trying to get stuff ready for the baby in these last crazy two months and I'm wondering if there's anything you'd recommend as a must-have. Since I'm asking, one of my must-haves are disposable bibs. I never would've thought to buy them originally (I'm kinda cheap that way), but someone gave me a pack for my shower with Ezra and they've been fabulous to have when I'm out and about. My other favorite is a pouch sling. It would be nice to have with a first baby, but they're complete life-savers when you have more than one. There ya have it...have a fabulous day!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the same exact way about baby stuff. I HATE most of the big companies choices of patterns and colors.... We went with a Chicco for Gav... that I want to sell now so I can get something cuter for whenver we have another baby. Right now I'm in the process of buying a pack-n-play for our Christmas trip and I'm cursing all these stupid companies for their animals and color choices.

I know they do it so you feel persuaded to buy new stuff for each baby but still... GOODNESS! Anyway.... email me your address,I have something to send you that is one of my "must have's." I LOVED my hotsling, I got it when Gav was 6 weeks old and it wasn't soon enough!

Catherine said...

That is so funny.. I actually love grey and silver so eclipse is my favorite...but I think Birkshire could be cute if you had a pink blanket tucked in around her... it's funny becuase Deco and Milan seem the closest to the one you actually like.. both having polka dots.. (I realize different colors but still polka dots...lol).. Good luck... My car seats are still good until 2012 so I think I will stick with them...there is way too many choices..

Erica said...

I did not have this with Brooklyn but with the next it is going to be a MUST HAVE - a Hooter Hider! I think it will safe my life and the world from catching a glimpse of my boobs :)

The DeVito's said...

A Hooter Hider is a definite must have! I also love my Moby sling. MUCH easier on your back. I have the Deco swing and pack and play. It was the only design I liked. The infant carrier we borrowed from me sister, but she's already out of it and we had to buy a real car seat.

Anonymous said...

I hear your pain! I thought for SURE there would be a fantastic print...but nope. I am glad that I have my print...ahhhh. I love it (I would never mind if we were twinners...Ella's out of her's so no one would even know ;) With fresh eyes, I do like the Eclipse, Deco and Milan...not fantastic, but cute nonetheless. Anyway, hmmm I'll think of my favs...I love my sling--couldn't live w/o it. I'll be forever endebted to you for my conversion. ;)

Nicki said...

This sounds weird, but my must-have with the second baby was a noise machine! Perfect for drowning out the sounds of toddler screams and toys being thrown while you're trying to put the baby down for a nap. We bought a great (and fairly inexpensive) one from Target. Conair, maybe? It's been fantastic. Of course, the baby never sleeps now anyway, but that's a story for another time :)

Oh, and yes, slings are a TOTAL lifesaver. I'm pretty sure I would have died without my Moby. The baby slept in it all day and my hands were free for the toddler :)

Crapos said...

I'm a total combi believer. Can't help you on the money/stroller front though. All of my strollers and infant carriers are combi. The strollers are just so light and compact compared to everything else.