Monday, October 28, 2013

To my Scarlett, on her 5th Birthday

Oh Scarlett, my Scarlett, sunshine of my heart...how happy I am to call you mine.  You're like this little impish fairy, fluttering along through life.  You really do bring joy and gaiety with you wherever you go.  One of your favorite primary songs is Jesus Said Love Everyone and I couldn't pick a better theme song for you if I tried.  For those of you not in the know, here are the lyrics:

Jesus said love everyone;
treat them kindly too.
When your heart is filled with love
others will love you.

See what I mean?  You insisted a few months back that everyone is the world loved you...because you loved everyone in the world .  Isn't that the truth, though?  People love you, Scarli-girl, because you love people.  I can't tell you how often I see you chatting up a stranger, old and young, making new friends wherever we go.  You radiate a warmth that people are drawn to and you really, truly love everyone.


I've gotta admit, though, it's not all giggles and curls with you, Little Miss.  You've always had a bit of a naughty streak and it's gotten significantly bigger in the last half-year or so.  It's been creeping up slowly on us for a while, but you just have a way of flying your misdeeds under the radar.  It's 'cause you do all that naughtiness with a smile on your face.  You'll blatantly be ignoring something we're telling you to do, but since you're doing it while dancing and prancing, it's not quite as noticeable.  And then there's Ezra...oh, there's Ezra...how you drive that poor boy crazy.  You two are like oil and water...and you know it.  You're like nails on a chalkboard to him and you enjoy every second of it.  You sing and poke and chatter...and drive him up the wall.  In fact, you are the sole reason we've instated a No Singing At The Table rule.  You little naughty imp.


You really do love your siblings, though.  You're kind of the one that bridges them all together.  It doesn't matter which of them needs a friend, you're always willing.  I love that about you.  It's hard on you to have the older 2 gone at school all day, you definitely get lonely, but then you just play with Oak instead.  You and Oak are the best of frienemies.  You two can never quite decide if you're playing or fighting as you chase each other around the house.  You are the best little helper with Fischer.  You love to hold him and tell me you "look just like a little mommy!"  You will tell anyone who'll listen that "the doctor says he looks just like [me]!"  Which he does.  I love to see your little pixie-ish features mirrored on his little face.  I can't wait to watch you all grow up together.  I know you'll be the glue that holds you five together...if Ezra doesn't kill you first ;)



You, my dear, are still all girl from the top of your curly brown head down to the tips of your painted toenails.  You love playing with dolls and dress-ups, pretending you're a mom (you even love to wear cardigans because you insist it makes you look like a mommy).  You just got an American Girl Doll for your birthday and you couldn't be more thrilled for another little baby to mother.  You, Miss S, are constantly performing, insisting I watch the multiple new song and dance routines you make up daily.  You love to sing and dance to Katy Perry's Roar, What Did The Fox Say, and anything by Fun, mixed in with lots of church songs, like (the aforementioned) Jesus Said Love Everyone, "Give," Said The Little Stream, and Praise to The Man.  You hold a lot of personality in that tiny little body of yours.

You're such a little ray of sunshine, Miss Scarlett.  You really are my most easy-going kid.  I botched up your (Georgia's old) flapper costume a few days before the first Halloween event this year and you didn't hesitate to agree to be a princess when I explained the situation.  With 3 other hard-nosed siblings around, it's certainly nice to have a slightly-more flexible one in the brood.  That doesn't mean you don't have your stubborn streak, however.  You'll latch onto an idea (like a request for more candy :P) and just don't let go.  Auntie Stephie calls it your Chinese water torture because you'll just whine and plead and beg and whine some more in that high-pitched little voice of yours until I crack.  That's ok, though, I can't really complain.  You're such a joyful little soul so much of the time that it makes up for the bouts of whining.


I love you, Scarlett Caroline so. darn. much.  You are such a special little soul who I believe, with every fiber of my being, was sent to this family to bring us light and joy.  You are pure sunshine.  Your line for this year's primary program is, "I love that I get to be here to learn, grow, and enjoy my life on earth."  I'm not sure if they gave that part to you intentionally or not, but it might have well been.  You really do live everyday to its fullest, learning, growing, and enjoying every step of the way.  I'll often ask you and your siblings what the best and worst part of your day was and you usually insist that there were no worst parts.  Ezra always tries to explain to you that there is always a worst part, even if that means a least-best part, but you, ever the optimist, insist that you can have a completely worst-free day.  I hope you never lose those rose-tinted glasses of yours, Little Miss.  They suit you oh-so-well.

I love you, Scarli-girl...with my whole heart and soul.  I'm am so very, very blessed that you chose me to be your mama.  It's made me the luckiest girl in the world.

Happy 5th Birthday Miss Scarlett Caroline!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this so very much!!