Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Christmas, New Year's, and all that

After my long holiday hiatus, I'm ready to resume my regular (ok, sporadic) schedule. Before I forget, here's a hearty congrats to Kristin (oh...and Dave) on new baby Evie! Welcome to the Mommy Club-we're the coolest!

Christmas Eve was loads of fun. We started with a weenie roast in Mimi and Granddad's back yard, followed by our traditional Family Home Evening. We had a good time playing the bells, listening to the nativity, and reading Mimi's brand new Christmas book. My part of the evening was providing different foods that Mary and Joseph would've eaten on their way to Bethlehem. We drank grape juice and ate dried dates, pomegranate seeds, and apples and pears dipped in honey. We also dipped veggies and pitas in hummus and seasoned olive oil. We also had lots of olives, of course! A lot of the food was surprisingly good. Santa's elves also stopped by and dropped off some Christmas jammies for the kids.

Ezra and his cousins, Cooper and Greyson, enjoy a spot by the fire

Spencer with Ezra and Georgia in their festive PJs

Christmas morning started off with a bang a little after 7:00 when we opened presents. Ezra got a tricycle and he hasn't been off it since. Spencer surprised me with a road bike and we can't wait for the weather to clear so we can start riding. Before then, however, we can ride indoors using the new trainer that I got Spencer for Christmas.


Ezra's ready to roll!

My spiffy new bike (please ignore the ugly brown paneling and carpet:P)

Georgia loves her new towel from Mimi!

We spent New Year's Eve and Day at Granddad and Mimi's too. We had loads of fun playing games, eating good food, and talking, talking, talking (as we Holyoaks are prone to do:). I made some fabulous coconut shrimp and for the benefit of all my admirers, I've included the recipe below...have a fabulous day!

Easy Coconut Shrimp

1 c. flake coconut, toasted

1 pkt. Shake 'N Bake, extra crispy

1/4 tsp. each curry powder and ground red pepper (cayenne)

1 lb. fresh or thawed frozen extra large shrimp, cleaned

1 egg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine coconut, Shake 'N Bake, curry powder and red pepper in shallow bowl.

Dip shrimp in egg, then roll in coconut mixture until evenly coated on all sides.

Bake 10-12 min. or until shrimp are cooked through (if shrimp are pre-cooked, then just heat through). Serve with chutney, sweet-and-sour sauce, or pina colada dipping sauce.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

whitney - hi, it's Camille from BBC. anyway, love the recipe for your shrimp, but you do have a recipe for the pina calada sauce?

btw, see I am a stocker, I am on your blog now!!!! mine is www.livelylowes.blogger.com

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I need to update my blog. I love your pictures. Little Georgia is so darn cute in her towel. Every time I use Ella's I think that I need to take a picture of her in it. Seeing cute, little Goergia...now I have to. It was so fun being with you for the holidays. There is just nothing like being with family during the holidays. BTW...You should've posted the picture with you and Georgia...you were too cute in that picture. :)

Anonymous said...

Man,
those are some cute kids. Their good looks couldn't have come from their dad. that guy sure needs a haircut:)

patshala said...

Hey Spencer and Whitney!!! Thanks for commenting on our blog, now we can check your blog out. I can't believe how old Ezra looks and how adorable Georgia is. I wish we could have seen you when you were in town. How are things going in Oklahoma??
Shala

Alabama Apples said...

I love you! Your kiddies are so beautiful! I can totally picture Ez zooming around on his bike. That shrimp sounds yummy...we'll have to try it. I love you!

Melanie said...

Such cute pictures! I'm happy to see you guys smiling- in spite of what sounds like a very trying time- allergies! Yuck!